Past emails sent to all teams are included at the end of this message for those teams who have newly joined the program!
IMPORTANT INFO: Event Registration will open Tuesday 10/1 and close on Tuesday 10/15 (at 10AM). Teams can submit their event preferences ANYTIME during that window. After registration closes, event assignments will be made (this takes time) and emailed to teams. More details are below and will be emailed with the registration link on 10/1.
SCRIMMAGES: Scrimmages are informal FLL events available for teams to practice robot and judging. You can sign up for as many scrimmages as you wish without effecting your ability to compete in an official tournament. If you have ‘unofficial’ teams they may participate in scrimmages as well at the discretion of the event managers.
- Andover Scrimmage (11/2): Hosted by the Cormier Youth Center
- To register: http://ays.recdesk.com
- Practice Interviews Day (11/9): Hosted by FRC 6328. Teams have the opportunity to practice judging sessions and receive rubric feedback .
- Blackstone Valley Scrimmage (11/23): This event will give teams the chance to practice on competition tables. Many technical awards.
- To register: https://forms.gle/vBp9wGh2Cq9WfQqR6
EVENT REGISTRATION PROCESS:
Using the MA FLL Event Preferences link (will be emailed to you on 10/1):
- Enter your FLL Team number (YOU MUST PUT IN YOUR ACTUAL FLL TEAM NUMBER), as well as contact info for the coach completing the form.
- On the following page, you must enter your TOP FIVE choices for event assignment in preference order. The town and date of each qualifier is listed there, and you can look in the FIRST website for additional event info.
- On the next page, if you only manage one team or these preferences only apply to one team, click NO and move on.
- If you manage multiple teams who have the SAME PREFERENCES, click yes and then enter those additional team numbers on the following page.
- Lastly, mark “I understand” after reading our terms.
- Make sure you know which coach is filling out the form, and only submit one per team.
- Events are assigned based on space available, geography, and a variety of other factors. There is no rush to fill this out this very instance. It’s better to double check you are submitting accurate data than rush to be the first one in. However, as soon as you know your preferences please enter them as it helps us assess any problem areas (like not enough space) early on.
- Making assignments can take a week or two. Please don’t send emails asking about event assignments until after 28-Oct. We anticipate all assignments being made by that time.
- We do our best to give everyone an event that is within their top three choices, but it simply isn’t always possible. Teams assigned outside of their top three choices are typically the EXCEPTION, and not the rule but it does happen. For reference, in 2018 all teams did received one of their top 3 choices. Over 81% of teams received their first choice.
- All events charge a $75 registration fee. This is payable directly to the event. Payment info will be emailed to you AFTER event assignment. Sending in payment to an event you are not assigned to will not guarantee your acceptance nor will it be transferred to another event.
- Each team will only be assigned to ONE qualifying event, per FLL rules.
- Teams advance from qualifiers based on their performance across all areas, as described in the previous email.
- At least 30% of the teams competing at each qualifier will advance to the Championship. Planned advancement numbers are difficult to pin down at this time because our general FLL registration is still open and new teams are added every day. Currently we set a lower capacity across all of our events, and will expand capacity as registration demands. If we set advancement numbers then change capacity limits, this is problematic. Advancement will not be no less than 30, more likely 35%.
- Based on the qualifier you attend, teams will advance to the following Championships. There will be limited opportunity to swap Championship events.
- WPI Championship: Shrewsbury, Worcester, Leominster, Agawam, Littleton, Ayer/Shirley, Northboro
- Newton Championship: Marlboro, Newton, UMass-Dartmouth, Revere, Melrose, Northboro
Here’s the current schedule of events:
Worcester 1 Qualifier
Worcester 2 Qualifier
Colleen Shaver BS ’04, MS ‘08
Director, Robotics Resource Center at WPI