Location: First Congregational Church, 29 North Main St, Sharon. Enter at the back, parking lot side, up the central steps.
Doors open at 6pm to get setup and give help to new teams, with a 6:30pm official start.
We had 3 robots running last week:
Diesel not only had the high score, but was totally consistent, doing the same thing every run. They also have a end-of-round mission that scores the robot on the bridge and activates both flags with a pneumatic drive. These are legal, but rare; the added complexity is usually not worth it for most teams.
There were plenty of rule violations and misunderstandings. Read the Rules! Here are some things I observed:
1. The 12" height limit applies to the Home area during the pre-round "check the size" step.
2. Your robot cannot be touched without penalty outside of HOME. The launch area is not home. We will start taking precision tokens for this this week.
3. The rules that appear in the Engineers Notebook are not completely correct. There are several rules that use the defined term "Independent" that is key to whether you can use parts you bring to support stacks and such. Refer to the official rules on the FLL website; even the score sheet has better descriptions than the Engineers Notebook.
Three teams have joined SYRA so far:
FLL, Status, Team Name, Contact
Students Seeking Teams
We have at least two, but I neglected to get their contact information last week. Please contact me with info.
Name, Age, Grade, School, Parental Contact
Note: contact info posted only in our emails
1. If you haven't registered your team with FLL yet, you should focus on that first. Go to the FLL web site to get started.
2. The SYRA team fee is unchanged this year at $100, checks payable to "Jack Gregory". Teams will not be able to run their robots on the SYRA field until dues are paid. This fee covers use of the hall, and use of the SYRA field. The easiest way to register a team with SYRA is to print a team roster from the FLL Team Roster, which will include FLL number, names and contact information, but you can also pick up a form from us.
3. Prospective referees should contact me directly via email, and sign in when they attend a meeting.
Important notice about our meeting place and rules of behavior: We are guests here. We absolutely cannot tolerate the following, and doing so after a warning will get you kicked out:
1. Do not enter any other rooms in the church without permission.
2. Children who need to use the bathroom must be escorted by an adult.
3. Do not make excessive noise; other meetings may be going on in the building.
4. Do not attempt to play in the back playground. It is for day-care use only. Not us.
5. Do not bring food or drink into the hall.
6. Do not run in the hall. Do not play soccer, football, tag, etc. No fun allowed!
Each team is responsible for the behavior of its students. It is not acceptable to merely drop off students without an adult being responsible for them.
If you are getting this email and do not want to, reply to me directly. We also now have a Facebook page, managed by Preeti and Sumit Bannerjee. We will try to keep that up to date with the latest information, as well as our website (below). This is a better option for parents and students who don't need to be on our email list.
Sharon Youth Robotics Association