This year's theme: City Shaper
Tonight, due to a conflict with the main hall, we will be using a different part of the church, with a different entrance. Use the entrance to the left of the stairs, under the canopy. Our meeting will be held in the Library and Conference room immediately inside that door.
As always, doors open at 6pm to get setup, with a 6:30pm official start.
We started our season last week, and even had a robot to run. While everyone is still new to the rules, the discussions over what the rules meant and even when they applied are interesting.
The Galaxy Decoders ran several runs and scored over 100 points. As a first meeting, we didn't record scores (not even being sure of the scoring), but I did challenge them to get to the top of the ramp, and bet 1 pound of LEGO if they could do it (they hadn't even tried it in their runs), and sure enough, they not only had a program to do it, but got it to work and will get the pound this week. Me and my big mouth.
Three teams have joined SYRA so far:
FLL, Status, Team Name, Contact
Students Seeking Teams
We have at least two, but I neglected to get their contact information last week. Please contact me with info.
Name, Age, Grade, School, Parental Contact
1. If you haven't registered your team with FLL yet, you should focus on that first. Go to the FLL web site to get started.
2. The SYRA team fee is unchanged this year at $100, checks payable to "Jack Gregory". Teams will not be able to run their robots on the SYRA field until dues are paid. This fee covers use of the hall, and use of the SYRA field. The easiest way to register a team with SYRA is to print a team roster from the FLL Team Roster, which will include FLL number, names and contact information, but you can also pick up a form from us.
3. Prospective referees should contact me directly via email, and sign in when they attend a meeting.
Important notice about our meeting place and rules of behavior: We are guests here. We absolutely cannot tolerate the following, and doing so after a warning will get you kicked out:
1. Do not enter any other rooms in the church without permission.
2. Children who need to use the bathroom must be escorted by an adult.
3. Do not make excessive noise; other meetings may be going on in the building.
4. Do not attempt to play in the back playground. It is for day-care use only. Not us.
5. Do not bring food or drink into the hall.
6. Do not run in the hall. Do not play soccer, football, tag, etc. No fun allowed!
Each team is responsible for the behavior of its students. It is not acceptable to merely drop off students without an adult being responsible for them.
If you are getting this email and do not want to, reply to me directly. We also now have a Facebook page, managed by Preeti and Sumit Bannerjee. We will try to keep that up to date with the latest information, as well as our website (below). This is a better option for parents and students who don't need to be on our email list.
Sharon Youth Robotics Association